Sunday, May 31, 2009

Susan Jurkonis Tournament a huge success

Here's the message from John Brander - the tournament director for the Susan Jurkonis Tounament held on May 26-27, 2009. BadmintonChicago.Org donated the software to assist in running the tournament and our volunteers also helped out.

"Greetings fellow badders!!!,
I have established this new e-mail for the tournament, Jurkonismemorial@yahoo.com. I am asking everyone to take a minute and let me know how things went for you. Next year, given the same (and hopefully larger turnout), we will need to expand play. Would you prefer play all day Saturday and Sunday or half day play Friday and Sunday and all day play on Saturday? This should eliminate the long hours of play and short hours of sleep.

First and foremost I want to thank each and every player and spectator for making the 2009 Susan Jurkonis Memorial a success!! I mean it when I say it is truly an honor to be able to run this tournament for what I considered to be a large group of friends. I get excited each year to know that I will see everyone once again and be able to share this great experience with them as well. I know the Jurkonis' feel the same way as well.

I know that the tournament went into the wee hours of the morning but with over 145 participants this was the largest draw we have seen in the 11 years of tournament. With only around 90 entrants just the week before the tournament, I had little reason to worry about such a backlog but did you guys come and come strong! We had over 40 men's singles, men's doubles, and mixed doubles teams. Combined with roughly 18 women's doubles and women's singles participants, and this
was one large badminton party!

Finally, but certainly not last, I would like to thank Sara Karlin for all of her help at the tournament desk. Without her, well I am not sure what would have happened, but it wouldn't have been pretty! Also thanks to Louisville Badminton Supply, Coach Al Loew, the Jurkonis', and the Kimura's for all of their help. Results to follow shortly. Please remember to email with your suggestions or comments, both good and bad! Thanks again everybody and be sure to stay in touch!!!

John Brander

No comments:

Post a Comment